THE SECOND WORLD WAR
Raised in the Autumn of 1943 as a training unit for the 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Force) and the 6th Gurkha Rifles, the 56th Gurkha Rifles was part of 39 Indian (Training) Division located near Saharanpur.
During the period of its existence the Battalion carried out continuous and strenuous training in the jungle between Dehra Dun and Saharanpur, thereby fulfilling its task of rounding off the training of recruits from the Regimental Centres, toughening them and generally preparing them for the rigours of battle. On completion of this training recruits were drafted to their battalions. The Battalion was disbanded in March 1946.